Saturday, June 17, 2006

Web auctions, the new jackpot for middle Americans

Web auctions, the new jackpot for middle Americans - Yahoo! News (Reuters)

eBay does have its potential.

I have only tested the waters of being an eBay seller, selling a Michael Jackson/Disneyland free souvenir pin (a perq for being a member of the press) for over $6.

I like the idea of taking excess, not-really-wanted, in-the-way stuff around my home and making money with it on eBay. This is pretty much the same as what people do with yard sales, garage sales, and swap meets. eBay is for the lazy and cheap among us (me) who would rather do it online. So much easier and more convenient. Besides - I don't have a yard or a garage!

Yes, I plan to do more eBay in the future...

Another good source are the used-book sites - Amazon, Barnes & Noble, half.com... Bargain books to buy, and a great way to get rid of, especially novels and out-dated books, that you don't really want or need anymore and are just getting in the way.

I did have a bookseller rip me off on Amazon, but Amazon's guarantee covered my loss (with a reminder from Amazon that, as a result, I had used up one of my three money-back guarantees).

There is some hassle to selling on eBay, etc. - setting up the ad, the product photo(s) - and definitely the shipping. But, all in all, there's some opportunity here.

No comments: