Sunday, May 06, 2007

More About the Tech Survey...

Pew Internet & American Life Project

Okay, these are my results: I'm a "Connector."

Sounds rather on the mark, actually.

But, this is about much more than me - check out the other general definitions and information.

Re the "Connector" definition...

"Ethnically, it is mostly white (72%); 16% are Black and 12% are English-speaking Hispanics. The typical Connector has been online for 9 years, which suggests they were a second-wave of late 1990s adopters. Most are women (55%) and they rate above average in educational attainment and income."

All true for me, except I've been online 17 years. What's "average educational attaiment"? I'd rate above-average income-wise if you were to average it out over the decades! (Bleeping recessions and their impact on employment...grumble, grumble.) We did have an above-average income in 1990 when I first went online. Pretty hard otherwise - it cost $25/hour! (Can you say offline-text-readers? Can you appreciate the value of a "free flag" - free access privilege -in those days?)

All in all, however, the most interesting and important take-away from that quote just above is this: "most [Connectors] are women."

(Why does that somehow seem not really that surprising...? Aren't we females generally a more "connecting" bunch than males?)

No comments: