Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Many women unaware they're pre-diabetic

Many women unaware they're pre-diabetic - Yahoo! News (AP)

Lots of good health news today.

This is a very important article...

"Getting fatter around the middle? Have a family history of heart disease or diabetes? You could be headed for the same trouble, especially if you're over 40 and female."

"...insulin resistance, a type of pre-diabetes, is a growing national problem: Some experts believe half of all overweight or obese American adults are insulin-resistant."

All the boldings and italics are mine.

But you might want to read those quotes twice - they're that important.

FWIW, this Summer I found myself to be - fitting the profile above perfectly - with Type 2 diabetes. (Not bad, but with glucose numbers bad enough for the diagnosis. I had no symptoms, just was having some routine blood work done.)

I'd been meaning to work harder at losing weight - diabetes sure gave me the needed kick in the pants. Technically, I'm not even over-weight anymore, and my middle is decreasing as well. : D

No comments: